Sara M Moniuszko
Published 5:08 PM EDT Apr 20, 2019
Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter John Singleton suffered a stroke, his family confirmed in a statement provided to USA TODAY Saturday by spokesperson Shannon Barr.
The “Boyz n the Hood” director, 51, suffered the stroke while at the hospital earlier this week, but is under “great medical care” his family says.
“On Wednesday, April 17th our beloved son/father, John Singleton, suffered a stroke while at the hospital. John is currently in the ICU and under great medical care,” the statement read. “We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues.”
On Saturday, fellow celebrities took to social media to wish the star a speedy recovery, including Snoop Dogg who shared a photo of him and Singleton.
“Pray 4 my brother,” he captioned the photo.
Fellow director Guillermo del Toro wrote, “Get well, John Singleton! Such a generous spirit”
Neil deGrasse Tyson wished Singleton “a speedy recovery.”
“An occasion, perhaps, for the rest of us to be amazed that human physiology works at all,” he added along with a photo of them together.
“Pose” co-creator and executive producer Steven Canals also sent a positive message.
“I recently met John Singleton, who has been an inspiration from afar for decades. Sending prayers and healing vibes for a swift recovery. Keep him in your thoughts.”
Actress Nia Long said, “Praying hard this morning for my friend @johnsingleton PULL THROUGH BABY”
More: ‘This Is Us’ star Chrissy Metz details mom’s stroke: ‘Doctor said her prognosis was grim’
More: Was Luke Perry too young to have a fatal stroke? Not really